You are here: HomeResourcesI have a concern resourcesBrochure I have a concern

Brochure I have a concern

Information for people receiving aged care, families, representatives and carers about the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner.

“Who can raise a concern?”

Anyone can raise a concern. We encourage you to raise your concern with the service provider first. This can achieve a fast and sustainable resolution.

This includes people receiving care, partners, family, representatives, friends, advocates, staff and volunteers.

If you are raising a concern about the care someone else is receiving, you should make sure the person (or his or her representative) knows about it.

If you cannot resolve your concern with the service provider, you can contact the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner on 1800 550 552. Our service is free.

We will examine concerns regardless of a person’s cultural background, disability, gender, sex and gender identity, sexual orientation or any other status. We do not discriminate.

“What happens when I contact the Complaints Commissioner?”

We will explain the process, the resolution options available and what can be achieved.

Our focus is on resolving your concern in the best interest of the person receiving aged care.

Please provide as much information as you can when you contact us. This helps us to understand your issues and expectations.

We will select the options most likely to achieve the best outcome, based on the nature of your concern and the risk to the person receiving care.

In some cases, we will ask the service provider to resolve your concern. We can also use other options, such as conciliation, mediation or investigation.

“Do I need to provide my name?”

No. You can submit your complaint anonymously or confidentially.

However, this can limit what we can do to help, so it is best to submit your concern openly.

We can explain the differences between open, anonymous and confidential complaints when you call. You can also find information about this on our website at

“Is other support available?”

Advocacy may be able to help you. An advocate can:

  • provide you with information about your rights and responsibilities
  • help you to raise your issues with us or the service provider
  • support you at any stage during the complaints process.

Advocacy is free, independent and confidential. An advocate will always seek your permission before taking action.

You can call the National Aged Care Advocacy Line on 1800 700 600.

With your permission, we can phone an advocacy agency on your behalf to explain your concerns and arrange for the agency to contact you.

“What can the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner help with?”

We can assist with concerns about the quality of care or services you are receiving from Australian Government funded aged care providers.

You can raise concerns about aged care services you are receiving in your home or in an aged care home, including:

  • Residential care or residential respite care
  • Home Care Packages
  • Commonwealth Home Support Program
  • Flexible care, including Transition Care, and the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Flexible Aged Care Program.

Your concern may relate to any care or services provided to you by the service including personal or clinical care, choice of activities, discrimination, catering, communication or the physical environment.

Aged Care Complaints Commissioner Contact Details

Phone 1800 550 552*

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, we can help through the National Relay Service. Call 1800 555 677 and ask for 1800 550 552.

If you need an interpreter, we can help through the Translating and Interpreting Service. Call 131 450 and ask for 1800 550 552.

Write to us

Aged Care Complaints Commissioner
GPO Box 9848
(In your capital city)


For more information about aged care

The My Aged Care website and national contact centre have been established by the Australian Government to help you navigate the aged care system. They can provide you with information on aged care, for yourself, a family member, friend or someone you’re caring for.

Contact centre: 1800 200 422

* 1800 calls are free from fixed lines; however calls from mobiles may be charged.


Under the Aged Care Act 1997, the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner can use any information received in performing the Complaints Commissioner’s functions. The Complaints Commissioner has procedures in place to ensure that personal information is protected against misuse and is not unlawfully disclosed. All information in this publication is correct as of January 2016.