You are here: HomeResourcesBetter Practice Guide to Complaint HandlingAssisted complaints resolution (external resolution mechanisms)

Assisted complaints resolution (external resolution mechanisms)

Some complaints cannot be resolved within your service, despite your best efforts.

Some care recipients may not feel comfortable raising concerns directly with their service provider. In these cases, assisted complaint resolution options are available.

It’s important for you to guide a complainant to an appropriate alternative for complaint resolution outside your service.

Care recipients have a right to raise concerns and complaints about the care and services they receive.

Aged care advocates

Care recipients can access free advocacy services to support them in raising concerns and making a complaint. An aged care advocate can:

  • listen to complainants and provide information
  • speak to a service provider on a complainant’s behalf
  • support complainants at any stage throughout a complaint process.

Call the National Aged Care Advocacy Line on 1800 700 600 to find an advocacy service in your local area.

Aged Care Complaints Commissioner

The Aged Care Complaints Commissioner (the Complaints Commissioner) is a free service for people to raise concerns about the quality of Australian Government funded care and services. Anyone can raise a concern.

Contacting the Complaints Commissioner

Concerns can be raised by phone, online, via email or post.
Phone: 1800 550 552
Post: Aged Care Complaints Commissioner
GPO Box 9848
(Your capital city and state/territory)

Submitting a complaint

Complainants can choose to make a complaint in different ways:

  • Openly
    Complainant is identified to the Complaints Commissioner and your service.
  • Confidentially
    Complainant is identified to the Complaints Commissioner, but not to the service.
  • Anonymously
    Complainant is not identified to the Complaints Commissioner or to the service.

The Complaints Commissioner is impartial and has several options for resolving complaints:

  • Service provider resolution
    The Complaints Commissioner can ask your service to examine the complaint.
  • Conciliation:
    The Complaints Commissioner can help the service and complainant discuss the issues and reach an agreed resolution.
  • Investigation:
    The Complaints Commissioner can investigate a complaint and make a finding.
  • Mediation:
    The Complaints Commissioner may suggest that the service and the complainant work with a mediator.

Review of the complaint decision

If the complainant or service provider is not satisfied with a decision made by the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner, they can request us to review the decision.

The Commonwealth Ombudsman

The Commonwealth Ombudsman can investigate complaints about the actions and decisions of Australian Government agencies, including those of the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner, to see if they are wrong, unjust, unlawful, discriminatory or unfair.

Phone: 1300 362 072
Web: Commonwealth Ombudsman website